Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Snippet time!

Went to the doc today.  So, a late snippet for everyone.



Back in the present, the lights flashed briefly twice.  Jorge stepped from the driver’s compartment to the passenger compartment.
            “Old man, we’ve been on the road for ten hours now.  Shift change up front, and sleep time back here,” he said, jerking a thumb towards the front cabin.
            “Right,” I said, rising from my chair and grabbing my seat bag.
            “You good to drive for now,” he asked, settling into the seat I had vacated.
            “Grandson, I was sleeping behind the wheel with the truck on autopilot before you were a gleam in your daddy’s daddy’s eyes.  I’ve got this.”
            “Sleep behind the wheel,” Kelley asked, a concerned look on her face.
            “Yeah, we do it all the time on long trips.  The truck is monitored by MTC, and has all the latest in science-tificical devices to ensure we get where we’re going without incident.  Which, come to think of it, was how we found site Tarkas in the first place.  Tell you what, let me grab a few hours of sleep up front, and I’ll tell you about us finding the Pipers, ok?”
            “It’s safe?”
            “Look, cars on Earth have been self-driving for what, the last 60 or so years?  Ya’ll think someone actually driving is some sort of aberration these days, I hear.  This is the same system ya’ll use, adapted for the terrain.  It’s a modified terrain following radar/lidar system.  Otherwise, this 48 or so hour long drive would take twice as long.  The whole system is designed to operate without a driver.  I’m there to make command decisions in the event of things like sandstorms and other ‘weather phenomena’.”
            “Other than sandstorms, what weather does Mars have?”
“Good point.  But, we didn’t write the programming, someone on Earth did, under a grant from the government, and it had to handle all possible issues.  If we were driving across the polar caps, we might get some fog in the early morning, or during the sublimation period.  But yeah, this thing could be driven by a blind person with no issues.  Hell, my damn cats could ‘drive’ it long as someone programmed the destination.  And before you ask, yes, we had someone do that back in ’91 if I remember correctly,” I said, grinning.
“Hadn’t thought about it that way,” she said, settling back in the seat.  “I’ll see you in a few hours then.”
“Good night then.  See you in about eight hours or so,” I said stepping through into the driver’s compartment, sealing the door behind me.  I cut the lighting in the passenger compartment while I was settling into the driver’s seat.  I checked the settings in the autopilot, the weather and other things, made sure the timer was set for an eight hour nap, and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment