Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A late snippet - and nothing this week

Late I know.  Or early for tomorrow, you decide.  I will admit to taking this week off though, cause tomorrow is my day off.



“Ok, so, what’s next?”
 “Next, we pull data on this end to see what’s missing, and keep an eye on the equipment Connie found,” Marie said from the door, sipping on a mug of coffee.
“Some days I forget you’re one of those sneaky security types,” I said looking longingly at the mug in her hand.  Don’t get me wrong, I like cold coffee.  Some days, however really need the hot stuff.  She noticed the direction of my stare, and grinned.
“Here, addict,” she said, sliding the cup onto my desk.
“Ah, so, you do love me,” I said, drinking deeply.
“Yes, even if I do wonder why sometimes,” she said eyes sparkling.  “I’ll check with the office and see if anything weird is going on today.  Otherwise I’ll wait for further info from you or Hammer about whatever this is that’s going on.”
“Let me talk to him and see if I can brief you in.  I don’t know how much you over heard, but yeah, this one could be a bit messy before it’s over.”
“Messy how?  Oh shit oh shit oh shit we’re going to die messy or something less?”
“Something less, I hope, but you never know.”
“Thanks, hon,” she said, leaning across the desk to kiss my forehead.  “Now I get to plan for a riot in the science lab.  That should be fun.”
“Riot suppression without damaging the artifacts.  That gives me the willies ‘cause it just ain’t possible.  And I like the artifacts.”
“Gee thanks for that thought.  I can hear the Earth Science Group just screaming because a pot shard of ‘religious significance’ got damaged.”
“Hey now, we don’t even know if the Pipers had a religion, you know.  And I’ve never said that.”
“True, but I’ve seen you going over reports and rejecting them for that reason alone.”
“Duh, it’s lazy magical thinking.  We don’t know what they used it for therefore it had ‘religious significance’.  Then ten years later we figure out it was a pooper scooper.”

No comments:

Post a Comment