Sunday, January 18, 2015

What's in a name?

Here in America we really don't think of people's names as having a meaning - unless they're a member of a First Nations group or we're playing along with one of those silly assed Facebook games "What's your Native American Name".  Except most names do have a meaning.  Take mine for example - my first name can mean either Grey or Wise, my middle name means either Bear or Eagle, and my last name means "From the land of the Bou" - putting that all together we get Grey Eagle from the land of the Bou, or Wise Bear from from the land of the Bou (or any variation there of) - with the added caveat that since I'm named for my father, I could, were we using the Roman Styling, add "The Younger".  My paternal grandfather was Bear/Eagle Conquering from the land of the Bou.  Which also indicates at least three generations with a common name.  Then, there's my mother's family - on one side you have either Michael Albert or Albert Michael going back as far as we can trace through the generations, and on the other side, there's at least one William something as far back as we can take my grandmother's family line (since she was an only child, she's the exception - although she did have an aunt named Richard.  Hey, it was the Victorian Era - same time frame as Arthur Lizzy Borden (yes, that's her real name)).
Now, I can see someone out there going what the hell does this have to do with writing?  Well, lets see - when you're naming a character, think about the things you want to put forward with the character's name.  Is he just a common man who will lead people out of darkness?  How about Robert (Ray of Light).  Is she favored or does she have grace from a higher power?  How about Anne (Favor or Grace).  Or you know, you could show who's the hero of the novel with something like Hiro Protagonist.  If you really want to hit people over the head with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment